Date:      Sat, 07 Jul 2012 18:34:39 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?B?UmFkaW8gbcWCb2R5Y2ggYmFuZHl0w7N3?= <radiomlodychbandytow@o2.pl>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-fs Digest, Vol 472, Issue 5

On 2012-07-06 14:00, freebsd-fs-request@freebsd.org wrote:> It's easy to
find the failure math for raidz2 and raidz3.

 > But what if you create a pool with 3 different raidz3 vdevs inside of
it ?

 > For instance, 3 12-drive raidz3 vdevs in one big pool.
 >
 > For each individual vdev the failure probability is now higher, since
not only will it fail when 4 drives in the vdev fail, but it will also
fail if four drives in any of the other two vdevs fail.

 > So each raidz3 vdev now has a failure rate higher than vanilla raidz3
... but what is that new failure rate ?  Is it still higher than vanilla
raidz2 ?

Skip these calculations. They all assume that drive failures are
independent and it's not the case in the real world. There's been a good
study on the topic of drive failures several years ago,
http://static.usenix.org/events/fast07/tech/schroeder/schroeder_html/index.html
Among other findings they say:
"We also present strong evidence for the existence of correlations
between disk replacement interarrivals."
--
Twoje radio