Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 21:04:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SMP patch going into -current tonight

    The SMP patch (#7) will be going into -current tonight with Jordan's
    approval.  After I make minor corrections to the patch (which is actually
    based off of 4.x).

    I'm pretty comfortable with it in -current and think in a week or two
    we can MFC it into 4.x, which will allow more of the continuing BGL
    work to (eventually) go into both trees.  Specifically, it sure would
    be nice if some of the syscall work that occurs in the future can
    be MFC'd.

    The patch at least doesn't make things any slower - Bob Bishop did a
    buildworld test and came up with a 7% improvement.  I'm a bit skeptical,
    I only thought it would be 1 or 2%, but perhaps the removal of the 'cpl'
    locks (which make spl*() calls very expensive) made up for it.

						-Matt