Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:26:11 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Eilko Bos <eilko@bos-zuidema.nl>, tom@samplonius.org
Subject:   Re: interface re0

Tom Samplonius wrote:
 >   But em cards (Intel Pro1000GT Desktop) cards are very cheap, and
 >   do work.  Why buy RealTek?  RealTek has been outputting overly
 >   simplistic hardware since the beginning.  If there was a corner
 >   that could be cut when building a NIC, a RealTek engineer thought
 >   of it first.

FWIW, I'm using re(4) cards in a few machines without any
problems (probed as "RealTek 8169SB/8110SB").  They're
working just fine.  On the other hand, if you do a search
for "em" on the mailing list archives, it looks like there
are quite a lot of problems with those.

Just my 2 cents ...  YMMV.

Best regards
   Oliver

PS:  I agree that the old rl(4) NICs, i.e. 8139, are really
a piece of crap, but that's a completely different issue.
Realtek also made quite an NE2k clone supported by ed(4)
(called RealTek 8029) which is also quite decent and works
perfectly fine (I've had one in my router for years).  So,
not all RealTek products are as bad a nightmare as the
rl(4) 8139.  ;-)

"That's what I love about GUIs: They make simple tasks easier,
and complex tasks impossible."
        -- John William Chambless