Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 07:16:06 -0600
From:      Mike Porter <mupi@mknet.org>
To:        "Gavin Cameron" <gavin@itworks.com.au>, "Mark Rowlands" <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: KDE 2.2 from ports

On Thursday 30 August 2001 10:07 pm, Gavin Cameron wrote:
> Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net> said:
> > On Thursday 30 August 2001 1:13 pm, Gavin Cameron wrote:
> > > Has anyone been able to install KDE2.2 from the ports on 4.4-RC?
> > >
> > > I get errors in kdebase-2.2 on libjpeg & qt. Both of which are
> > > installed, from ports, at the latest available releases.
> >
> > yep had to blat my old versions first. Your error wouldn't happen to be
> > can't find libjpeg / QT  by any chance......if so, have you installed
> > them somewhere very non-standard?
>
> I uninstalled everything that starts with kde before I started trying to
> make KDE 2.2.
>
> Yes, the problem I'm getting is the libjpeg / QT error. They were installed
> from ports by a simple 'make install'. I didn't supply any options so
> I assume they were installed in the 'right' place.

On a machine installed from scratch, it worked fine.  When I tried to "just"
upgrade, I ran into all sorts of trouble just like that described above.  A
couple of the problems were fixed by manually installing the dependant port
(Mesa did this), then re-entering the kde build, but I was never able to get
the libjpeg stuff to work.  It doesn't seem to mind not having libjpeg, BTW,
it just disables jpeg support and continues on its merry way to QT, which I
also wasn't able to work around.  I finally started the whole thing from
scratch.  Granted,  I had a couple of other things I had wanted to do for a
while (change my partitioning, for one) so it was no big loss.  Ultimately, I
think the problem stemmed from installing stuff intially (at sysinstall) as
packages, then upgrading stuff as ports.  I also had some problems related to
the Xfree3.3.6==>4.0.2 upgrade I did a while back...in short, there was a lot
of cruft in my system, and it was easiest to just reinstall the whole thing
from scratch.  Once I did that, kde 2.2 went in just fine the first time,
dependencies and all.

mike