Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:32:31 +0100
From:      Jacob Jan Beukema <jacob@jamps.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   unlockpt (pts?) problem

Hello,

I recently started using FreeBSD. I have some years of experience with several
Linux-es. Now I have been installing FreeBSD 5.0 and configured and updated
it so far that it works rather well on my system. But I have one annoying
problem (annoying because i have been trying everything to fix it). I updated
to KDE3.1 and when I now run startx I get the following error:

/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/libkdesu.so.5: Undefined symbol
"unlockpt"

KDEInit says it can't start properly but KDE is running OK except for some
errors for example with Konsole and some other programs that report Undefined
symbol unlockpt or ptsname. Now I got the feeling it has got something to do
with PTS, /dev/pts, or something like that but I have not been able to create
/dev/pts(/*) or solve the program any other way.

Can someone please, please help me, because I didn't have a lot of time to use
FreeBSD yet due to being busy with this problem ;-)

Many many thanks in advance,

Jacob Jan
(the Netherlands)