Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 2004 16:51:01 -0600
From:      Vulpes Velox <kitbsdlist2@HotPOP.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Seeking rock-solid motherboard recommendations

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 13:06:43 -0800 (PST)
Joe Peifer <jlpvideo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Pardon the newbeee question... I've searched the mail
> archive and have explored various links on the
> freebsd.org web site.  I can find fragments of
> information here-and-there about hardware
> recommendations and/or warnings... but I haven't
> really been able to find any single, definitive source
> of information regarding components (motherboards, I/O
> adapters, graphics cards, etc.) that have drivers and
> have been tested to work with FreeBSD.  Is there any
> such animal?

Avoid Biostar... never heard any thing good about them.

Asus, Chaintech, MSI, and Gigabyte are nice. The current mobo in
server is a Gigabyte and I've never had any problems with it and am
looking at picking up several dual proc Gigabyte boards currently.

Basically just look at if the hardware on it is listed as working with
what ever version you are using and you should be fine.

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.2R/hardware.html
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.9R/relnotes.html

On UNIX like systems, the graphics are not handled by the OS, but by a
X server. The most common one and the one that exists in the ports is
XFree86. In the area of DRI thought, some drivers exist as OS modules
to allow it to work... or whatever... These include nvidia, radeon,
r128, tdfx, and mga.

http://xfree86.org/current/Status.html