Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 14:38:01 -0800
From:      John Gordon <john.gordon@windriver.com>
To:        Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        Brandon S Allbery KF8NH <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>, "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Talking to a Palm over USB (was Re: Talking to a Palm over IR?)

Hello,

> > The m5xx should work fine with the comms/birda port.
>
> Well, I could never get it to work, the laptop and Palm never connected.
> Do you have config files for your setup?

I just installed the birda-0.8 and pilot-link-0.9.5_3 packages from the
ports collection, enabled the IRDA port in my BIOS, created the ptyq*
devices using "./MAKEDEV pty1" because I didn't have them, and followed
the suggestion on the irs manual page:

irs -c -e -y /dev/ptyqf &
pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyqf -b backup-dir

Then I installed jpilot to handle sync operations. Should note here
though that I couldn't get a sync to work if I had my PDA password
protected. Seems that there is no support for whatever Sony/Palm do with
the password on a hotsync operation.

Also, see my previous email about possible incompatibility in the
protocol for the Palm 5xx devices... I'll see if I can dig out the
reference sometime...

Rgds,

John...

--
John Gordon                                   Wind River Systems, Inc.
Senior Member of Technical Staff              500 Wind River Way