Date:      Sat, 9 Aug 2003 22:51:49 +0200
From:      Thierry Thomas <thierry@pompo.net>
To:        Liste FreeBSD-alpha <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problem with ld-elf.so: program does not launch.

Hello,

I have ported metis-edf (cad/metis-edf) to FreeBSD, it runs fine on
i386, but it aborts on alpha. On Bento, the log is at
<http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/alpha-4-latest/metis-edf-3.log>.

More precisely, it builds, then there is a `make test', it eats all the
CPU and never launches.

Thanks to Oliver, I have got an access to an Alpha machine, built with
-g, and ran it through gdb: if you set a breakpoint to main(), it never
reaches it, and you have to ^C. A backtrace gives something like

(gdb) bt
#0  0x160039af4 in __remqu () from /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1
#1  0x160035f68 in r_debug_state () from /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1
#2  0x160035f68 in r_debug_state () from /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1
Error accessing memory address 0xfffffffffffffffd: Bad address.

On i386, I have had to patch to link against /usr/lib/crt1.o, and that
did the trick; on Alpha, there is a linker-warning:

/usr/libexec/elf/ld: warning: type and size of dynamic symbol `_fini' are not defined

If compiled with '-W -Wall', it reports a lot warnings, and I have fixed
some of them, but it does not change anything. If linked with
'--verbose', nothing special.

I have no experience on this architecture, so any help or ideas are
welcome!

Best regards,
--
Th. Thomas.