Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 1996 14:32:19 +0200
From:      Eric.Berenguier@sycomore.fr (Eric Berenguier)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help! Floppy drive problem: crash the computer !

Hello,

        I'm using FreeBSD Release 2.1.0, and i have problems with my floppy
drive. When i read or write to a disk, i get a lot of error messages (log
follows) and sometimes it crashes the computer during writes (computer hang,
or panic+reboot). I've no problem with dos with the same disks (i've checked
this with many disks)

here is the messages i get (hope there are no errors, i'm copying this by hand)
this is only a sample, i don't want to flood everyone with the full log :)

when writing:
fdc0: cmd 3 failed ay out byte 1 of 3
fdc0: output ready timeout
fdc0: too many errors, not logging any more
(it got hung just after this one)

when reading:
fdc0: direction bit not set
fdc0: cmd e6 failed at out byte 1 of 9

if it panics during a write:
fault virtual address = 0x29000000
fault code            = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer   = 0x8:0xf016e6bb
code segment          = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                      = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1,gran 1
processor eflags      = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process       = 205 (cp)
interrupt mask        = net tty bio
panic: page fault

syncing disks ... 25 25 25 25 25 (a lot of these) 25 25 giving up
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds, etc....

Hardware configuration:
486 (from Cyrix) + IDE Hard drive + cheap vga + two cheap NE2000 compatibles
Software:
FreeBSD 2.1.0R - The only change to kernel is the IP-Filter patch

Can anybody help me ?

is it a hardware or a software problem ?
should i try to use another floppy drive ?

Thanks in advance,

--
Eric Berenguier

                    SYCOMORE
31, place des Corolles - 92098 PARIS LA DEFENSE
             http://www.sycomore.fr