Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:33:24 +0100
From:      Herve Quiroz <herve.quiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Requiring a native VM

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 11:40:17AM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> Java-GNOME needs 1.2 or higher.  Right now, I'm using:
>
> USE_JAVA=	1.2+
>
> But it would be nice to do:
>
> USE_NATIVE_JAVA=	1.2+

Actually the next version of bsd.java.mk already have this kind of hint
to enforce a native VM:

USE_JAVA=        yes
JAVA_VERSION=    1.2+
JAVA_OS=         native

Et voila!

The bad news is that it is not yet commited. The good news is that there
is already a working version. Available at:

http://www.esil.univ-mrs.fr/~hquiroz/freebsd/bsd.java.mk-2.0.html

Everything is explained further on the page. And if you plan to use such
a feature, why not beta-testing bsd.java.mk 2.0 ? Getting feedback from
porters who are using some of the new features (like you) will speedup
the developement of bsd.java.mk... and hopefuly its commit will happen
sooner.

BTW, post 5.2-RELEASE should be the right time to commit bsd.java.mk 2.0
IMHO. This gives us enough time to fix it before the next release.

Ernst, you told Greg and I that you were quite busy some months ago. Is
this still the case ? I will update bsd.java.mk 2.0 this week and build
another snapshot to reflect the latest JDK/JRE releases so you and Greg
may review it.

Regards,

Herve.