Date:      Sun, 17 May 1998 19:01:06 -0500
From:      MP <mlistbsd@icorp.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: too many open files problem - semi corrected

At 05:30 PM 5/17/98 -0400, Mark Segal wrote:
>This is a simple fix... by default bind 8.1.x trys to open listen on every
>ip bound to the machine.. it it will answer a dns query on every ip.  This
>is useless.. because you only need to listen on the localhost, and the ip
>that is registered with the InterNIC, so the simple fix is, use the
>listen-on directive in your options section of the named.conf.

Just FYI for those on the list - and since I've seen TONS of questions on
this issue in the mailing list archives - very few of which offer real
solutions...

I upgraded from bind 4.9.6 which comes with 2.2.6 by default, to 8.1.2, and
upon installation and conversion of the named.boot => named.conf, my
problem disappeared - named loads properly. (although there are bugs in the
perl-based configuration program, especially if you use the "xfernet"
directive).

I haven't fully tested the system yet, and I HATE the new named.conf format
- it's as if the developers had a meeting and spent quite a bit of time
considering how much WORSE could they make the dns config file format...
well, they did a dandy job!!!  It sucks...  Not to mention that bind8 is
about 300% larger than bind4...

Anyway, enough of my bitching - after about 5 hours fiddling with this, it
works, so I'm not going to complain too much - only later when I have to
maintain the dns configuration... :|

Someone should put this issue in the F.A.Q. (!!)