Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 1996 13:36:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, imb@scgt.oz.au, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD doesn't like SNAP! (panic: unwire: page not in pmap)

> > For the L2, the Saturn I chipset (mask date pre-April 1994) had a
> > flaw, where the DMA notification from PCI was simply not internally
> > connected to anything.  This is most often seen in Gateway and Dell
> > systems with 60MHz Pentiums, but they aren't the only ones who used
> > Saturn I's, so they aren't the only machines with problems.
>
> Ahhh... Saturn I and II are 486 chipsets, so this must be Gateway and
> Dell xxMhz 486 systems and not 60MHz Pentiums.

You're right.

But the Saturn chipset is not the only one that had the disconnected
internal bus bridge (which was the problem: they left it off the
artwork for some reason and blew a huge number of PCI bridge chip
runs -- not just the SAturn, but Mercury and Neptune as well).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.