Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 09:05:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/pci pci.c pcisupport.c pcivar.h

We discussed this very extensively during SparcStation-1 development. In fact
early SunOS 4.0.3c prior to release had just something like this (the code
stayed around for years protected by "DAVE_DOESNT_WANT_THIS_ANY_MORE").

The consensus eventually was that this was pointless because the ultimate goal
is to have all possible available drivers sit somewhere and just be loaded if
the h/w was present.

Once you get even close to the goal of all self-identifying devices (which is
pretty darn close now), what's the added advantage of a message that most
users won't grok and will generate a support call about (I'm talking
commercial space here)?

-matt