Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2001 17:11:02 -0700
From:      Kelsey Cummings <kgc@sonic.net>
To:        Jeff Behl <jeff@expertcity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: redundant ethernet connections? (different switches)

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 04:42:47PM -0700, Jeff Behl wrote:
> we have some Dell poweredge boxes that come with dual onboard nics:
>
> fxp0: <Intel Pro 10/100B/100+ Ethernet>
> fxp1: <Intel Pro 10/100B/100+ Ethernet>
>
> Ideally we'd like to have these ports in a redundant configuration where
>
> each is hooked up to a different switch and, if one switch or card was
> to fail, the other would take over.  Is this possible now?  In the
> future?  Is this something that has to be supported by the cards?  And
> if so, I would imagine the driver would have to support it as well?

I don't think there are any packages that directly support it but it
shouldn't be that hard to roll your own.

Check for link status, if the link on the primary is down,
bring up the secondary.

Of course, this would only work if the failure caused link status
to drop.

> I'm a little confused on the subject...
>
> thanks for any help.

Kelsey Cummings - kgc@sonic.net         sonic.net
System Administrator                    300 B Street, Ste 101
707.522.1000 (Voice)                    Santa Rosa, CA 95404
707.547.2199 (Fax)                      http://www.sonic.net/
Fingerprint = 7F 59 43 1B 44 8A 0D 57  91 08 73 73 7A 48 90 C5