Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 20:43:35 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, APM and laptops

Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no stands accused of saying:
> server.  The reason I run the Xi Graphics server is that my laptop
> has the NeoMagic 2090 chip, and it's not (and probably won't be)
> supported by XFree86 due to NeoMagic's policy wrt. low-level
> programming documentation availability. (Sigh.)  Be that as it may.

*spit* at NeoMagic, but a big thankyou to Xi.

> However, the most annoying problem with my configuration is that it
> appears that APM does not work as intended, in particular: doing a
> "suspend" causes the machine to freeze, not to enter the suspend
> state, even if I've powered down both PCMCIA cards before doing the
> suspend.
>
> Is this a known problem?

APM BIOSsen in general are a known problem.  8(

Are you enabling APM first, with 'apmconf -e'?

How are you trying to suspend, with 'zzz', or 'apmconf -z', or by
closing the lid?

> On which mailing lists should I listen to to be aware of any
> progress on solving this problem?  (I get enough mail as it is, so
> volume is of concern.)

The -mobile list is quiet, and there would definitely be traffic there
in the case of any results.