Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 09:43:07 -0500
From:      Jerry Kelley <jerryk@iquest.net>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail on a firewall box

sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:

> Well, the Whistle Interjet *is* a FreeBSD box :-). But it's hidden.
> Yes, you can get much of the same functionality with ipfw or ipfilter.
> It all depends on how much your own time is worth.

Yes, I know. That's why I'm going to build my own! ;-) Besides, I enjoy
working on FreeBSD boxes so that's why I'm doing this myself. If I
didn't,
I'd be using Windoze with the Interjet. Why pay Whistle and my ISP for
something that I can put together much cheaper?

I spoke with the folks at Whistle some time back and they seem pretty
aloof at this point. They're attitude is that they have enough people
interested in their product that they don't really care too much about
more customers. I was trying to find out how I could get them to work
with my ISP and they essentially stated that they have enough ISP's at
this point and weren't interested in any more. So, I'm on my own here.

The Interjet is a neat idea but the marketing plan seems inadequate.
Besides, I'm not so sure that their product is very stable yet. Given
that, I'd rather have the flexibility of working 'under the hood' myself
since I have the programming and system knowledge necessary.

> A fairly common way to do this is SMAP (from the TIS toolkit) plus
> sendmail. I doubt you'll find many people serious about security who
> will want to go for sendmail alone.

Ok, thanks.

Jerry Kelley
jerryk@iquest.net
"Expectations are life's greatest dangers."