Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2000 18:42:05 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@northernbrewer.com
Subject:   Re: Weird /tmp issues

Mike Meyer (mwm@mired.org) wrote:

> You should leave the thread on -questions so other can play.

(Learning mutt, my .muttrc doesn't properly Cc the proper list yet..)

> > Those sockets remain even after a reboot; even if I don'r run X.
> > Is this normal? I would think if you shutdown X, it would remove
> > all its lockfiles and sockets. It seems as if X requires those
> > sockets to run, because if I move /tmp, my display and keyboard
> > both fail until a reboot.
>
> I'd think that about X as well, but I'm not an X guru. If you're not
> cleaning out /tmp at reboot, then you should: "shutdown -r"; when it
> comes up, don't go multi-user, go single-user. Then mv /tmp to
> /tmp.old (I'd suggest *deleting* the old /tmp) and create the new /tmp
> appropriately. That got lost in here, but it's a symlink to another
> fs, right?

Yes.

> > I searched deja.com regarding this issue, and found a message from
> > someone who said "I like to move /tmp to a diferent filesystem before X
> > has a chance to establish sockets there."
>
> Which is pretty much what I outlined above. Moving /tmp to /tmp.old
> *should* make X recreate them when you start it, providing that you've
> rebooted the system in between.
>
> If you've done that, then I'd seriously suggest removing the things.

Done and done. I was a bit squeamish about removing /tmp.old, because it
seems to contain essential files for the running of my X server. But I
dumped / before proceding.

The sockets were rm'd without any problem. And now /tmp is where I want
it.

Of course, X still doesn't start. I am still rather troubled that
X requires certain files to be in /tmp in order to function properly.
That seems very wrong.

> > Christopher Farley
>
> Ok, I can't resist - I get asked what I working with Dana Carvey is
> like regularly. Do you get asked what it's like being dead?

Oh yes. All the time. At least, in my case, I've got the name of a
*dead* SNL star. When he was alive people would constantly ask "Are you
that guy in the van... down by THE RIVER?" Now most people any

--
Christopher Farley
Northern Brewer / 1150 Grand Avenue / St. Paul, MN 55105