Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2000 19:33:41 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "Dmitry A. Novoselov" <dan837@cclib.nsu.ru>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: my vision: what is -RELEASE and -STABLE

>so, correct me if i am happen to be wrong: the optimal RELEASE
>installation would be system binaries + sources, but no additional
>packages/ports. than i setup cvsup and get -STABLE. make world, and i am
>happy (don't forget kernel recompilation, of course). after that, i
>stay with -STABLE.
>
>thus, -RELEASE is merely for first-time installation.
>
>am i correct?

-RELEASE is just a point along the -STABLE track.

If you download the latest -RELEASE, or install off the CD, you're
at -RELEASE (e.g., 3.4-RELEASE). Once you update your sources (say by using
CVSup), 'make world', and recompile the kernel, you'll find yourself
at -STABLE.

Once you're tracking -STABLE, as a new release looms on the horizon (and
assuming you 'make world' often enough) you'll go from 3.3-STABLE to 3.4-RC
(release candidate, typically 1-2 weeks ahead of the actual release date) to
3.4-RELEASE to 3.4-STABLE...

There's lots more info about this in the handbook
(http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/stable.html).

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!