Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 1997 17:10:42 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
Cc:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: major problem with Copyright of contrib/ipfilter...

Darren Reed scribbled this message on Aug 22:
> In some mail I received from Jonathan Lemon, sie wrote
> >
> > On Aug 08, 1997 at 03:30:52AM -0700, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> > > well.. I was about to fix a problem with contrib/ipfilter/man/Makefile,
> > > but I read the copyright message at the top:
> > > # (C)opyright 1993, 1994, 1995 by Darren Reed.
> > > #
> > > # This code may be freely distributed as long as it retains this notice
> > > # and is not changed in any way.  The author accepts no responsibility
> > > # for the use of this software.  I hate legaleese, don't you ?
> > >
> > > I'm sorry, but anything that we can't fix SHOULD NEVER be imported into
> > > the tree...  I'm going to rewrite the makefile for now...  but can we
> > > get all the copyright messages changed to the BSD copyright?? or at
> > > least allow us to make modifications??
> >
> > I think the wording is just vague.  The way I read it; you aren't
> > allowed to change the _notice_ in any way, not the code.  Perhaps
> > Darren can clarify?
>
> There are inconsistancies which I was unaware of until recently (I rarely
> pay any heed to what others put there for copyrgiht, never mind my own!).
> If you go back and look at the original License file for the package, it
> doesn't say the same as above.

yes... I know, but that doesn't mean that all code is subjected to
the license of the package.. the license attached to the file is the
final word on what goes...  you are the author, you get to decide exactly
what happens with the code (and some parts of a packge may want to
have a more restricted license)...

> I fixed a large bunch of those copyright things in the latest beta for
> IP Filter and obviously have more to attend to.
>
> I assume this was the reason John replaced the Makefile (re. CVS commit).

yes... but that wasn't the proper approch (as Peter Wemm pointed out to
me)...    where does the build of the ipfilter take place??  or are you
forced to build the utils manually if you want to use 'em??  thanks
for the info though.. ttyl.

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD