Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 09:46:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>
To:        <arch@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <kevin.way@overtone.org>
Subject:   Re: New rc.d init script roadmap

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, David O'Brien wrote:

> PLEASE, only _ONE_ mailing list.  We wouldn't have freebsd-arch separate
> from freebsd-hackers if it didn't serve a different target area...

I was hoping to get some people from -hackers to take a look at it.
Although it was more for -arch. I'll leave it here.

> Can you look at Kevin's work and see if you two could merge it into one
> prototype?

I just looked briefly at it. I think we are actually in about the same
place, although he's a bit further along on the scripts. Although most of
them are directly from NetBSD and not a conversion of the existing FreeBSD
boot scripts/order.

> > M1 (Patch included)
> > Setup infrastructure
> >  Make rcorder compile
>
> I have sent patches to NetBSD to make rcorder compile properly.
> But I have not bothered to put the pressure on them needed until we had a
> working prototype -- so we could push back all of our changes at once.

I don't know much about the NetBSD folks, but it might be easier to give
them smaller sets so they don't get a single monolithic patch to try an
integrate into their codebase.

> I also fail to see why this is "milestone 1".  These things should be
> done as part of the patch + tarball that should be put up for prototype
> testing.

I was hoping to do this more or less in tree. That would also give people
that don't want to download a patch an option of simply flipping a switch
in /etc/rc.conf and trying out the new system. It's also M1 because it was
necessary piece before rewriting all of the boot scripts. (It also
happened to be the amount that I was able to create/test last night =)

> > M2
> > Get FreeBSD to boot with the new boot scripts
> >  Rewrite the /etc/rc.d scripts to work with FreeBSD
>
> This is the hard part. :-(

Yeah. I actually had a set of scripts that got my machine up through (most
of) the network configuration. Unfortunately, I forgot to back them up off
my laptop when I switched jobs.

> > M4
> > Add true dependency checking to the infrastructure so that starting nfsd
> > will start mountd and rpcbind
>
> The dependency checking is part of /etc/rc.d/*.  Is there something
> missing you have found?

Well, once I have booted my machine, I might want to start an nfs server.
If I just ran /etc/rc.d/nfsd start, it would fail, because that script
doesn't know enought to start mountd (which in turn doesn't know enough to
start rpcbind). I had an idea on how to make that all work. But we need to
crawl before we start sprinting.

> > I'm expecting M2 to run into quite a bikeshed, but hey, I got my nice
>
> There is no reason for it to.  We need a tarball put up containing the
> prototype.  Several people will download it and install it on their
> systems (including me).  Once enough people have said there is basic
> working functionality, I'll commit it.

I suppose that would be a compelling enough reason to work out of tree.

There is one main issue to resolve before I go through and rewrite the
rc.d scripts. Do we want to keep the existing FreeBSD scripts as much as
possible? or do we want them to look like NetBSD's? I prefer the former
myself. I think Kevin's implementation has gone more for the latter.

-gordon