Date:      Thu, 02 Aug 2001 21:16:53 -0400
From:      "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
To:        "Christopher Farley" <chris@northernbrewer.com>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Cloning a hard drive - performance issues

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001 19:50:19 -0500, Christopher Farley wrote:

>I've got a drive that started throwing hard read errors. I'm going to
>copy it onto a fresh drive. (Details below, if it's relevant.)
>Using 2 ATA/66 drives, this has proven to be very, very SLOW. So I'm left
>with a hardware question:
>Which is faster:
>a) Leave both drives on the same cable, set one as master and the other
>   as slave
>b) Put each drive on its own cable, set them both as master
>c) No difference
>d) Depends on your mainboard

IMHO, it probably wont make a big enough difference to notice.

>Here is my 'cloning' process - perhaps this is just a slow operation:
>I've prepared my new drive with fdisk, disklabel and newfs. To perform
>the 'clone' I'm mounting the new filesystem on /mnt, and piping dump into
>restore like this:
>cd /mnt
>dump -0uaf - /dev/ad0s1a | restore -rf -

try theses websites for inf
:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/admin.html#NEW-HUGE
-DISK
http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/bigdisk.html

I just copied my 1.7 to my new 4.0g, made the slices and mnt'd them on
/mnt and used the dump/restore combo listed on the first page i gave
you.
seemed to work good, it took a while, although.
---
doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net