Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 01:20:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        Jonathan Arnold <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problems with perl5.6.1

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Jonathan Arnold wrote:
> I just tried upgrade my perl 5.0.5 to perl 5.6.1 and ran into a major problem. It says that it depends on a port called 'BSDPAN-5.6.1.tar.gz', but as far as I can tell, this doesn't exist anywhere. Or anything like it. This was when I tried to do a make in /usr/ports/dev/perl5. I just download the package and did a pkg_add on it and that worked just fine (so far).
> --
> Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold@buddydog.org)
> Amazing Developments       http://www.buddydog.org

I've heard that portupgrade -ar will download ports *and* everything they
depend upon, have you tried that command?  I just downloaded perl from
freebsd.org's ports collection:
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  6692885 Mar 27 22:17:11 2002 perl-5.6.1_1.tgz
...and plan to pkg_add it locally.  Also, www.perl.com seems to have the
latest releases and FAQs, does this help you?

> A computer is like an Old Testament god, with a lot of rules and no mercy. --Joseph Campbell

My favorite quotation, similar to this is...

With computers, it's "Do what I want! (Not what I tell you to do.)"  :)

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder