Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 10:26:35 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: disable mousepad taps on Dell Inspiron

>I have submitted another PR describing how to do this:
>
>http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=24299
>
>I now know quite a few people who would like something like this.
>The old PR I submitted regarding this is now out of date.  Could
>someone please commit this (and the required co-PR:
>http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=20352 )
>or something like this?
>
>Thanks, Stephen

Hi,

We exchanged mails quite a while ago and discussed about your
proposed patch.  I am sorry that I haven't written to you since then.

The reason why I didn't commit your patch straight away at that time
wasn't that I saw problems in your patch, but rather that the psm
driver has gotten so bloat over the years and now have full of
various model-specific code in it.  It's getting more and more difficult
to maintain.

In addition, nowadays there are so many arcane PS/2 mice which require
special attention by the driver on the market. We need to add support
for those mice as well.

Because of that, I decided to reorganize the psm driver a bit.
I will split the model-specific code from the main body of the driver,
and create a set of sub-drivers each of which will support a specific
PS/2 mouse model. I promise that the TouchPad support will be one of the
first sub-drivers to be added.  I am almost there and commit the
new code to the -CURRENT tree in a couple of weeks.

IMHO, the PS/2 mouse is a dying beast, in that the USB mouse is
the way to go. But, for the time being (well, a couple of years?
three year?), we need to keep the psm driver in good shape.

Kazu