Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:30:08 +0000
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>
Cc:        Mcclain Looney <mcclain@looneys.net>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best IDE for slow system?

Good points, all of them.  I've been trying to decide between learning
GTK or Swing to write a simple instrument control program.  The only
other obstacle (given that I have a basic understanding of Java) is
accessing the serial port for instrument control.  I'd much rather use
Java, but I have to be realistic.  I'll have to check out that port for
JavaComm.

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 10:22:10AM -0500, Mikhail Kruk wrote:
| > | Generally it is a very bad idea to create Java GUIs with automatic GUI
| > | editors.
| >
| > Hmm.  I do know of one example when I used Forte to make a GUI, and then
| > ended up completely reorganizing the code, since the generator made a
| > lot of assumptions that were untrue or unnecessary.  Is that the kind of
| > problem you are alluding to?
|
| Yes, exactly. Also sometimes when you change something in the generated
| code the GUI builder refuses to parse it and you are on your own.
| Somebody mentioned Visaj and even though I've never tried it the idea of
| providing visual editors for real java LayoutManagers sounds right. So I'd
| use either that or code it by hand. My experience shows that 90% of simple
| dialogs can be done with BorderLayuout in a couple of minutes and when you
| get something complicated you just need the GridBagLayout (esp. if it will
| be resizable). Face it as I did: you will need to learn how to use
| GridBagLayout :)

jm
--
My other computer is your windows box.