Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:20:22 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
To:        "Kirk R. Wythers" <kwythers@umn.edu>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: any bash guru's out there?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kirk R. Wythers" <kwythers@umn.edu>

> I would like to add some functionality to bash. I'd like to be able to
> distinguish at a glance, a file from a directory, from a sym link in a
> console... I've seen this don with different colors in a console or
(in
> monochrome) with a / at the beginning of directory name, and a @ at
the
> beginning of a sym link.
>
> Can someone point me to a location that discusses this?

I've recently set "CLICOLOR=YES" in my profile.  make sure your terminal
supports color by setting your terminal type to "xterm-color", or
whichever you prefer.

The advantage of this solution is that ls is smart enough to suppress
all the special characters from the output if the output device is not a
color terminal, so this WILL NOT break any scripts which use ls.

Do a 'man ls' and search for CLICOLOR .

Regards,
Patrick.