Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 12:53:58 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        James Love <love@cptech.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Subject:   Re: Device Drivers for Linux and Intel's annoucement

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Personally, I think people need to get busy in the book department if
> they want to see FreeBSD start going places faster (or they need to be
> content with it getting there not quite as fast).  All this kvetching
> in mailing lists that Opinion Leaders(tm) don't even read doesn't get
> us anywhere.

Not to mention magazines and trade weeklies.  Why does Linux have coverage
in these venues?  Because Linux users have written articles about how to
do this or that with Linux?  Why don't these same publications carry
articles about FreeBSD?  Because NOBODY is writing and submitting them.

Daemon News is a step in the right direction, but only a step.  More
articles about FreeBSD, in the publications both techies AND managers
read, will inevitably lead to more users and more acceptance.  The high
quality and usability of FreeBSD will guarantee wins, if we can just get
it in front of their eyeballs.

It is also important to keep in mind that the growth of Linux directly
benefits all FreeBSD users as well.  Linux compatibility is one of the
most important features of FreeBSD.  As the market for commercial Linux
applications grows, so does the market for commercial FreeBSD applications.
As Jordan pointed out in his recent editorial, Linux applications *are*
FreeBSD applications.  ;^)

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                      +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                   wes@softweyr.com