Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 23:37:28 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Scott Gerhardt <scott@gerhardt-it.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Email Etiquette on this list

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Scott Gerhardt wrote:

> - Replies are posted at the _TOP_  of the message; saves scrolling when
> following a long thread and keeps everything is reverse chronological order.

Well, I actually disagree with this point. I do not like to put my replies
*above* the original messages. Instead, I use to cut the piece of the
original message to which I am replying to reasonable size and write my
reply below it (just as I did right now). I find this scheme useful, since
if there are multiple points in any given message to which I would like to
say something, the whole thing looks more like a conversation (question 1
followed by answer 1, question 2 followed by answer 2, etc) and anybody
not familiar with the original message still knows easily what exactly is
going on.

However, I would of course not require others to adopt to this scheme.
There are many ways things can be done, and your suggestion, putting a
reply on top of the original message, can work just as well.

In my opinion, the biggest mistake that can actually be made is quoting
a *long* message in full and then replying to it. When the text you added
in your reply is shorter than the ammount of text you quoted, you most
likely did something wrong...

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org