Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 15:08:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Norman Sellers <ns@lynsys.karoo.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FeeBSD 2.2.6 Install

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Norman Sellers wrote:

> However, when I try to install using PPP dialup acces to my ISP I only have
> access to COM1 (0x3f8 IRQ 4).

I don't know modems very well so take this with a tablespoon of salt.
If you only have access to com1 then put your modem there. The last (and
only) modem I ever laid eyes on had dip switches for setting com ports.

> Unfortunately I have an internal modem which uses COM2 (0x2f8 IRQ 3) and
> COM2 is not available as an option to use for PPP.

> I have noticed that when the system boots and probes my hardware that I get
> the message si02 not found.

Of this much I am certain.

sio0 is COM1
sio1 is COM2
sio2 is COM3
sio3 is COM4

Your system may not have more than two com ports.

Also, the web site has help for setting up PPP.

Have fun,	 | Stop warning me about the latest virus. Learn more...
Jason Wells	 | http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html