Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2000 11:27:05 +0200
From:      Frank Louwers <frank@student.rug.ac.be>
To:        "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycor@home.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Danny Howard <dannyman@tellme.com>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: text console size on IBM TP 240?

> I have a TP 240 (Windows only).  It came to me with text "stretch" enabled.
> The characters were difficult to read - I hated it.  I found an option
> in the BIOS setup screen to disable it and much prefer the more-clearly-defined
> non-stretched characters.

Same on my TP760CD. The stretched font is just plain awfull.

> Too bad there isn't a way to just _use_ more of the screen with the
> non-stretched characters.  But you'd have to put the screen in bit-mapped
> mode and have a custom driver for that mode.  Does anything like that
> exist, Mike?  Maybe a VESA mode???  Obviously I couldn't use it since that's
> not my FreeBSD machine - I'm just curious...

Well, you can tell your fbsd to run in VESA_80x30 mode, but that won't change
a lot. Still not the entire size used up.

In leenox, there is SVGATextMode that allows me to use font size 107x39 or
something like that. If I have A LOT of time, i might have a look at how they
do it, and look if I can patch something for bsd ...

Frank
--
Frank Louwers                               Network- and System-Administrator
See headers for GPG and PGP2 id and fingerprint