Date:      Sat, 01 Jan 2000 09:26:25 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        William Freeman <dfree@inna.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: some performance issues

Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, William Freeman wrote:
>
> >Hello all.  I've finaly gotten out of that evil linux cult and come back
> >to the land of FreeBSD, how ever in 3.3R i have noticed that programmes
> >such as Netscape, Licq, gnomecc, gIDE, e-conf, et cetera do not load as
> >fast as they should, or in fact, occasionaly not in a reasonable amount
> >of time.  on a 400Mhz machine with 256MB of RAM i shouldn't have time to
> >fetch a cup of coffie while waiting for one of these relitivly small
> >applications to load when i don't have time to blink when loading Emacs
>
> I've had a similar experience with Licq.  SOmetimes i have clicked on it
> and it has *never* loaded at all.  But i think this has something to do
> with the net connection.  Both Licq and Netscape try to connect before
> they are usable, and sometimes Netscape looks like it has locked up, when
> i think it is simply establishing a connection.  Maybe i'm wrong here,
> please let me know.  But i have seen them both come up quickly and slowly,
> so i think it has to do with an outside factor.

I ping my ISP before I start Netscape. I have an alias 3c, which pings
3 times to bring up the ppp connection. Netscape comes up in 4 seconds
after I am connected.

Kent

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html