Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 1999 16:43:52 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        outlawtx@bga.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: which window manager?

outlawtx@bga.com wrote:

> Hi Kent,
>
> I was wondering which window manager you use.  I have been trying to run
> fvwm2 and can't get it right. It comes up with a blank screen.
>
> Don

Hi Don,

That is one of my "round_to_its". I'm still using twm (?). When I was
working, I used HP-Vu (?). The sysadmin set it up and I just always
logged in to it. I didn't have to know how to set it up. Since this
has to be done my way now, I am spending a lot more time to see what I
want. I have been to a few places looking but so far I haven't wanted
to get rid of what I'm using. Don't get me wrong. Some of the them
looked really good (you can add blink and underscore here). My
situation is such that if I want windows, I use Win 2000. Netscape and
WordPerfect for Linux run just fine with what I am using. Someone has
told me to try "gimp" and see what it does to my graphics. I did
download Jessie from Sun. It is supposed to be an IDE development
environment. I also have Code Forge but haven't installed it yet.
Sooner of later, I will find something I am comforatble with and move
some of my stuff off of NT. There were a couple of projects that I
wanted to run on both os'es but I hit a couple of Fortran modules that
were too old. The modern compilers wouldn't accept the old features.
They had levels of entry points and the new compilers required you to
provide all of the arguments on each entry point. There were litteral
100's of places where these things were used and not all of the
variables were present in all locations. It became a project that I
would do for pay but not for fun.

BTW, I have setathome running in one of my x-windows and I can't tell
any difference between running it there and the normal login screen. I
just nice setiathome to where it is nice :) to my other sessions.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA