Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 06:04:01 +0300
From:      "Valeriy E. Ushakov" <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dedicated disks (was: Dangerously Dedicated)

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 11:14:26 +1030, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> At least remove the option from sysinstall so new users don't get
> stuck with it.

Absolutely.

First time I was setting up a FreeBSD box I was really clueless about
MBR &c (all my previous machines were real hardware like VAX &c :-).
So when I saw that "dangerously dedicated" option I was quick to
conclude that the keyword is "dedicated", not "dangerously", and I
thought I knew what I was doing.

It's only when I had to set up a multiboot machine I did my homework
and read docs on what MBR *really* is.

So burying deeply or altogether removing that option from sysinstall
would only do good for most people...  Adding to the Handbook a
pointer to MBR docs will help to educate people as well.

SY, Uwe