Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 04:14:36 -0500
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
To:        "Hanif Ladha" <hanif@ladha.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Some h/w recommendations please...

	You're going to want to avoid the P4 unless you've got cash to burn, plain
and simple.  If you've gotta stick with Intel, go with a PIII.  If AMD is an
option, look at a Thunderbird or Athlon MP system.  I'd wait a while before
investing in an Athlon XP, simply because of the immaturity of the
technology.  When you're doing development work, you don't need to be
worrying if the system is crashing because of the hardware or the
development work.  Best bet would be something rock solid and dependable
(i.e. the PIII).

> RAM: I can definitely afford 256Mb and possibly 512Mb, I think going to
> a 1Gb would be a stretch.

	512 MB would be a good place to start.

> Motherboard: not at all sure here: have heard good things about ASUS

	Asus, Tyan... even SuperMicro.  Those are the three that I recommend and
use.

> Video: again not sure here

	If you're doing GUI development work, you're probably going to want a
Matrox.  If gaming is important, a GeForce might be what you're looking for.
As far as this goes, figure out what you're going to be spending the
majority of your time doing on this machine, and go with a proven solution.

> Monitor: I have heard good reviews about some Samsung models, again not
> sure

	Two manufacturers that I recommend as far as monitors:
* Sony (I personally don't like Sony products, but I know that their
monitors are top of the line, they're the OEM for Sun and sgi, can't argue
with that)

* Hitachi (they're the OEM for Cornerstone, which is arguably the best
monitor that money can buy)

> In terms of the HD, CDRW/DVD ROM, etc.  I am okay with.

	For development work, you'd probably want an IDE setup.

> So, if you have a few moments I would appreciate your input.  I want to
> limit my spending to around CAD$1500, maybe maxing out to CAD$2000 with
> a large monitor, etc.

	Should be able to do it for that kind of budget if you keep your goals in
mind and select hardware properly.

	Make sure you have a case with plenty of cooling capacity, might even want
to go with redundant power supplies.

--- Andy
Note: I'm not associated with any of the manufacturers that I recommend
(however, if they're hiring and see this, I'm available.  *grins*)