Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 1999 02:39:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      alissa bader <molbloo@interport.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   make install problems

hi all, I have been having more problems installing various ports.  For
example, I attempted to install windowmaker, and this is how I went about
it:

% su
# cd /usr/ports/
# ftp ftp.cdrom.com (then I logged in as anonymous, etc etc)
# cd /pub/FreeBSD/ports-stable (something like that, but pretty sure that
was the directory I went to)
# get x11-wm.tar
# exit
# tar xvf x11-wm.tar
# cd x11-wm
# cd windowmaker
# make install clean

(and then at this point something appears to start compiling, but then
I get a whole bunch of line goobleygook, the last few lines looking like)

./libtool --mode=compile cc -0  -I. -c ./jdapimin.c
cc -0 -I. -c -fPIC -DPIC ./jdapimin.c
mv -f jdapimin.o jdapimin.lo
cc -0 -I. -c ./jdapimin.c >/dev/null 2>&1
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

(and so on until I'm back at the # prompt).

I have applied the 2.2.7 update package from the ports page.

I am wondering what might be happening here?  Perhaps I'm missing some
other ports or something, but last night when I was installing other
stuff, the ports seemed to be ftp'd automatically.

Please help!  Thanks!

--Alissa
running 2.2.7