Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 22:27:54 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmsg() not working?!

Mike Smith wrote:

> > The patch Brian posted does do the job, but, IMHO, is not a good basis for
> > further finetuning of the sendmsg and recvmsg syscalls. Especially the
> > copyout bothers me. Is it worth reimplementing sendmsg and recvmsg or is
> > everybody happy with the patch?
>
> That depends on how you describe "reimplementing".  You might want to
> shim the generic implementations to make them more friendly to the
> Linux layer, but I would not think that reimplementing the bulk of the
> syscall in the Linux emulator would be a wise idea.

If sendit and recvit in /sys/kern/uipc_syscalls.c would be public, than we
could create a linux_sendmsg and linux_recvmsg based on sendmsg and recvmsg
and have it call sendit and recvit directly.

To eliminate the copyout and also to prevent a copyin of the, possibly large,
control message (ancillary data) it would be benificial to seperate the cmsg
header from the cmsg data in the lower layers (at least for sending).

The only thing that's against such a modification is the impact on the
existing code. I'm willing to make the modifications, only if there is a
change that such a change would be accepted in the first place.

marcel