Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2001 00:03:54 -0500
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>, The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA Qs: The saga continues (EC2T won't work)

The Babbler stated:
:
: 1. I should have clarified here, but my pccard.conf file, of course,
: doesn't really have an entry for ed0/ed1; I'm getting that from the
: default still.  I hadn't tried mucking with that.  In fact, I didn't
: think to mess with pccard.conf until I got the explicit "resource
: conflict" message from the two 3com cards. But for the two 3com cards I
: tried setting them to 1/2 2/1 & numerous other combinations, without any
: success.

Right. That should be fine. Unless you are trying to use two of the
same cards (you need to modify the entry to include differnet configuration
tuples). NEWCARD will hopefully obviate the need for this.

: 2. If the "device timeout" suggests a conflict, then I should probably
: try the same strategy I tried there: see what IRQs Linux assigns and
: then try the same ones under FreeBSD.  I must admit I'm not very clueful
: about how to avoid IRQ conflicts; I'm used to more "user-friendly"
: operating systems, like Windows and Linux, which just sort of
: "auto-magically" solve these things for me.  I've heard of people having
: to know where interrupts where and such back in the DOS days, but it's
: an art of which I am totally naive.

I would try just adding a line like

irq 3 9

to /etc/pccard.conf (or have it be the sum total of the file). This
the 3 and 9 are free .. maybe 10 or 11 are instead. If you disable
the onboard serial port in the BIOS, you can pick up 4.

dmesg |grep -i irq

can help show. (or post your /var/run/dmesg.boot and kernel config)

: I don't even know how to tell what IRQs are in use by what devices,
: except under Windows.  (My wife's shown me since it's come up with
: something there.)  Under Linux I've never, ever had to worry about
: it--it's always just worked with no fiddling on my part.

Linux has a cutesy way of do it by groveling around in /proc and
looking at file in there that details much of this.

: 3. I rebuilt a kernel without the spurious ed0 . . . junk (simplified
: just to "device ed").  The only effect this has is to change the message
:
: ed0: device timeout
:
: instead of "ed1", which isn't much of an improvement.  (Though perhaps
: 0's look a little more aesthetically pleasing than 1's . . .)  The
: firewall machine (Hyperdata, in case you were wondering) doesn't have a
: builtin modem or anything funky like that, but might have an odd address
: for the sound card or something, I suppose.

Yep it is pure aesthetics :) However, the error is indicative of an
irq problem (see above).

: 4. I tried using the the Linksys card in my workstation laptop (Dell);
: it works fine there.  I'm not sure whether this suggests a fundamental
: hardware problem with the other laptop or an IRQ conflict, but since it
: works fine under Linux, I suppose it argues for the latter.

IRQ conflict.

: 6. I believe that I *was* tying the dhcp to the internal NIC; I was
: saying
:
: dhcp ed1
:
: (or whatever I was trying for the internal NIC at that moment).  That's
: correct, isn't it?

To launch by hand, yes.

: 7.  While I'm at it, what's the "conventional" place to locate a "run at
: the end of the startup sequence" file under FreeBSD?  (Yeah, I know; I
: should look this up, but since I'm posting anyway . . .)  That is, I'd
: create an "rc.local" for most Linux distributions, but FreeBSD doesn't
: "seem" to be running rc.local, so I'm thinking it's expecting something
: else.  I know about rc.conf.local; I'm using that, but I want something
: that runs at the end rather than the beginning.

Look at the /etc/defaults/rc.conf (man rc.conf) file for

local_startup="/usr/local/etc/rc.d /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d" # startup script dirs
rc_conf_files="/etc/rc.conf /etc/rc.conf.local"

You can put startup scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d or you can have
your own. For instance, I use /etc/rc.d (only) so that when I install
ports/packages, they are not automatically started (unless I copy the
startup script).

Now, the other bit is that since you are using pccards, they are not
attached/probed til later on in hte boot order. That is why I suggested
that you start the dhcp server out of an insert call in /etc/pccard.conf.
The alternative would be to modify /etc/pccard_ether to work for your
environment.

: 9. If there's a tutorial for doing this that I missed that would go over
: all of this, please feel free to point it out.  I tried to search in the
: handbook and the mailing lists for these particular problems and I
: didn't find solutions, but I might not have done a good job of looking.

There aren't any hard and fast tutorials. Although, I believe that
Michael Lucas wrote a piece about installing FreeBSD on a laptop

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/11/02/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

There are probably other articles at

www.freebsddiary.org
www.daemonnews.org