Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 21:09:26 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Chip Morton <tech_info@threespace.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ntpd configuration

In message <xzpofhca29j.fsf@flood.ping.uio.no>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav writes:
>Chip Morton <tech_info@threespace.com> writes:
>> I did notice that Dan Langille's ntp.conf had multiple server lines in
>> it, so I'm trying that in my file as well to see if it helps.
>
>Using multiple servers allows ntpd to compensate for network artifacts
>etc. (such as assymetric routing) that are specific to any one server.
>It doesn't give you perfect time but does help reduce the margin of
>error.

Three servers allows your computer to declare one of them a liar,
five gives plenty choice.  More than five and it will change its
mind too often.

Try to find three servers nearby (in network terms, use traceroute)
which use different source technologies, for instance one GPS, one
DCF77 and one WWV or similar.

If you have many computers, set up your own stratum 2 servers and
synchronize your clients to them.

>> way, how often does ntpd update the time by default?

It autoadjusts from 64 seconds to 1024 seconds normally, you
can make it go as long as 18 hours for special configs.