Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 12:44:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org (Jonathon McKitrick)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: missing X library?

> Well, in my efforts to remove wordperfect i shot myself in the foot.  I
> ran a 'rpm -e --nodeps < filelist' to remove all rpms, which i thought
> were only for wordperfect.  But now xterm and x won't run because of the
> following error from ld-elf.so.1:
>
> shared object "libXmu.s0.6" not found
>
> Where do i reinstall this from?
> And next time i do this, what is the command that will help me find files
> like this on my own?
>
> -jm

Hello,

Without more information it's hard to state what exactly happened.
Also, I'm coming in late to this thread.  Given all that, here's my
Best Guess (tm)...

When you installed WordPerfect, did you use RPM's --root /compat/linux
option?

It's possible that the RPM remove process fried everything that it
required to run including, in your case, the X window system.

I.e., my system has:

moneysink~;locate -i libXmu.so.6.0
/usr/X11R6/lib/aout/libXmu.so.6.0
/usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6.0
/usr/compat/linux/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib/libXmu.so.6.0
moneysink~;

If you fry the one under /usr/X11R6, you're toast.

If you fry the one under /usr/compat/linux, you're fine.

My guess is that you deleted your native FreeBSD libXmu.so.6.0.

Best suggestion; remove and reinstall X.

Sorry,
==ml