Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 06:23:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>
To:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NCR 53c875 support broken in 2.2.1.

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Michael Hancock wrote:

> > We have 4 Compaq ProLiant 2500's at work running these things (integrated
> > on the board, but same chipset), all 2.2.1R.  Except for one problem we
> > had with a Micropolis Tomahawk 4gb drive, we haven't seen a huge number of
> > problems.  All have 2x4gb Barracudas on them, and two have 20gb RAID units
> > attached.
>
> Are you using Dawson's SMART SCSI ARRAY driver?  I might put FreeBSD on a
> ProLiant 2000 if I hear of more people using it with success.

We don't have that on these machines.  I've heard conflicting stories as
to whether the controller is truly OS-neutral.

We are going to be testing some complete OS-neutral RAID controllers next
week; the name escapes me at the moment.  Basically, you plug up to 15
Wide drives into one of these, plug it into your existing SCSI card, and
voila; you have hardware RAID 5 with hot spares.  To your SCSI adapter,
it's just one big SCSI device.

If the Compaq one works like that as well, we would also give it a shot,
but overall we're looking to improve the reliability of the SCSI adapters
that do fail in our systems - the standard clone-like machines.  With the
exception of that Micropolis, we've had nothing but good results with the
ProLiants.

--
j.