Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:55:14 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Ceri Davies <ceri@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FAQ confusion

--==_Exmh_-487916606P

If memory serves me right, Ceri Davies wrote:

> No; freebsd.ent has been updated, but it looks like it needs additional
> entities.
>
> Off the top of my head, I think we'll want something like os.4x.rel,
> os.4x.rel.date, etc. and corresponding os.5x entities.  In fact it's a shame
> that os.current is even called that, since we've been using it for -STABLE
> releases all this time...

I always thought that "current" means the "the current release", not
"CURRENT".  (At least that's the semantics of the corresponding entity
in the release documentation, which defines release.prev,
release.current, and release.next for its own use.)

I don't like the idea of tying entities to specific major releases.
That's going to force a huge search'n'replace effort at some point in
the not-too-distant future.

For the Web site, I (somewhat clumsily) attempted to define the concept
of multiple releases that could be considered "current".  At the time,
it was critical that we be able to do this without changing the files
that didn't need to express this concept.  The result can be seen in
revision 1.12 of www/en/includes.xsl and revision 1.55 of
www/en/includes.sgml.  This is a gross hack, but it kind of fit at the
time.

You might want to consider something similar (but cleaner).

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-487916606P

--==_Exmh_-487916606P--