Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 21:44:38 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Mario Doria" <mariodoria@yahoo.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: The upgrading process

The instructions are in the security notification file for the update.

>I usually rebuild world, rebuild kernel and reboot. I want to know if that is
>necessary,

No - not unless the thing being patched is linked into by every program in
the system, which is probably not likely to say the least.

Obviously, a patch that applies to a file in the kernel will most likely
require a kernel recompile.

A patch that affects a library (like the patch for libc that came out right
after 4.3 was released) may force a recompile of everything linked against
that
library (as that patch did)

A patch that affects a standalone program will only require recompilation of
that program.

The security notification patch instructions are always the most authoratative
source of instructions.