Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 01:06:48 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <mij@soupnazi.org>
Cc:        <ru@FreeBSD.org>, <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org>, <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: docs/33913: GNATS webinterface isn't wrapping lines

It was not my intent to start a religious argument.  User input
code that doesen't massage the input is a coding error - what
happens if some joker decides to put in a javascript in a PR
that does something nasty?  Are we checking for that?

The wrap attribute was NEVER valid in any HTML spec.  It is and
remains a quick hack to get out of massaging user input.

Obviously the best way to solve this would be to further process
the user input on the webform to insert linebreaks in case someone
uses a browser that doesen't do what the code expects is "right"

But if nobody writes one then what's wrong with a quick hack?

The PR database already has a lot of these unwrapped entries with lines that
scroll off the side of the screen.  Which is more important - making PR's
readable or being "right"?

Ted