Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 1999 03:12:07 -0500
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        molbloo@interport.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make install problems

From: alissa bader <molbloo@interport.net>
Subject: make install problems
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 02:39:53 -0500 (EST)

> hi all, I have been having more problems installing various ports.  For
> example, I attempted to install windowmaker, and this is how I went about
> it:

Good Choice!  You'll really like WindowMaker.

> % su
> # cd /usr/ports/
> # ftp ftp.cdrom.com (then I logged in as anonymous, etc etc)
> # cd /pub/FreeBSD/ports-stable (something like that, but pretty sure that
> was the directory I went to)
> # get x11-wm.tar
> # exit
> # tar xvf x11-wm.tar
> # cd x11-wm
> # cd windowmaker
> # make install clean

That's not how it works... it's really a *lot* easier than this  :-)

A FreeBSD port handles fetching the tarball for you as well as the
build and install.  Each has its own makefile, apart from the
one that belongs to the software being built.

Just do this:

cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/windowmaker && make install clean

About the only thing that might trip you up is having an old version
of the ports tree, in which case you might not have the directory
I mentioned.  In that case, try using /usr/ports/x11/windowmaker.

You can update your ports tree using CVSup, but that's another
topic to study in the handbook.

Good Luck,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net