Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 23:08:13 +0100
From:      setantae <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        Chris Aitken <chris@ideal.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting an Email into a PHP/pl script

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 07:54:00AM +1000, Chris Aitken wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have looked into the archives but im not sure what im searching for so I
> decided to ask here.
>
> What I want to do is, on my FreeBSD box running PHP and MySQL, to have a
> system which will take any email sent to a specific address, and pipe the
> body of the email to PHP (or even to a perl script). Once I have the body
> of the email as a variable, I can do all my parsing and extracting etc to
> do with it as I need, but im baffled on where to start looking to get this
> done.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You did say ``any'' help :

I have a daemon half written in perl that periodically checks a mailbox
in /var/mail to see if there's anything in it and then moves it into separate
files.

It's very rough around the edges but does the job, and you could modify it to
take appropriate action for your situation, but it's really just a poor
implementation of approximately 0.0003 % of procmail's functionality.

Despite that, if you want to have a look at it, then let me know privately.

Ceri

--
keep a mild groove on