Date:      Sat, 4 Mar 2000 11:37:35 -0800
From:      "Joseph T. Lee" <nugundam@nerv.nu>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru>, lioux@linf.unb.br, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree 3.3.6 authentication failed?

On Fri, Feb 25, 2000 at 03:06:55PM -0800, Joel Ray Holveck wrote:
> [Followups to -current]
>
> >> 	I am running monday's current, Mesa-glx for Riva, XFree 3.3.6 and
> >> KDE 1.1.2.  All from monday's ports tree.
> >> 	Well, I think I can't say I am running this system, for I am getting
> >> the following message whenever I try startx:
> > > Authentication failed - cannot start X server.
> > > Perhaps you do not have console ownership?
> > > _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
> > seems that you have built XFree with PAM support.
> > Just rebuild without PAM -- it's broken.
>
> Could you give me a few more details about the brokenness?

It's also in -STABLE.

Basically, PAM was built without a crypt library linked in.  When new
is built with PAM support, it tries to access crypt in PAM.  Then, it blows
up.

Build without PAM, or cvsup latest sources for the patch.  It was
mentioned in the mailing lists I think back in December?
--
Joseph nugundam =best=com==/==\=IIGS=/==\=Playstation=/==\=Civic HX CVT=/==\
#            Anime Expo 2000            >> www.anime-expo.org/              >