Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 20:13:03 +1100
From:      John Saunders <john@nlc.net.au>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PATCH for testing

> >    And, also, we need to get rid of the 'e' option to ps entirely.  It's a
> >    major security hole.
>
>    I agree that we need to get rid of 'e' and any other options that allow
> reading another process's environment.

How about protecting the -e option by a test for setuid() == 0 instead
of removing it entirely. That would remove the security concern, but
still retain the function for root. Removing the function for root is
useless from a security point of view, as anybody with root access
can simply compile an alternative version of ps(1) with -e back in it.

Cheers.
        .     | John Saunders  - mailto:john@nlc.net.au
(EMail) |
    ,--_|\    |                - http://www.nlc.net.au/
(WWW) |
   /  Oz  \   |                - 02-9489-4932 or 04-1822-3814
(Phone) |
   \_,--\_/   | NORTHLINK COMMUNICATIONS P/L - Supplying a
professional,   |
         v    | and above all friendly, internet connection
service.       |