Date:      Wed, 5 Oct 2005 00:50:26 +0930
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hosts/dns contention in FBSD 5.4

I have sytems both at home and at work running FreeBSD 5.4
release with a more or less standard installation.

Both systems are connected to internet routers via a nics;
and under normal circumstances all works fine -- or at least
seems to be working fine. In both cases there are other
computers connected via LAN.

But if the internet connection breaks -- e.g. the routers crash
or the ISP connection fails for some reason then trying to ssh
into the machine from another local machine is a problem --
either timing out our taking a very very long time.

With the internet connection down I notice a similar problem when
booting in the sendmail script.

Now it is my understanding that resolution of host names should
determine from /etc/host.conf and/or /etc/nsswitch.conf whether
to first try /etc/host or the dns server addressed by
/etc/resolv.conf

I believe these should give preference to /etc/hosts but
never-the-less things get stuck when the dns server can't be
reached.

************/etc/host.conf****************
# Auto-generated from nsswitch.conf, do not edit
hosts
bind

************/etc/nsswitch.conf************
group: compat
group_compat: nis
hosts: files dns
networks: files
passwd: compat
passwd_compat: nis
shells: files

Am I missing something? (Probably)
Is this behaviour normal?
Can the lockups be avoided?

Any help, ideas or clarification would be appreciated.

Malcolm Kay