Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2002 22:36:07 -0600
From:      Bob Giesen <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Gautham Ganapathy" <gauthamg123list@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: bochs vga font not detected by X

On Thursday 07 February 2002 10:06 pm, Gautham Ganapathy wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have a font file vga.pcf (came along with bochs) that is in the
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc directory. However, it is not being
> detected. The are no entries for it in the fonts.alias and
> fonts.dir files.

   This, I believe, is the problem.  I believe the fonts.dir file in
the directory where the font file resides (.../misc, in this case)
needs to have a line for each font that you have in that file.  The
format of the file is such that each line contains two fields: first,
the file name containing the font and, second, the font name.  You
will need a line for each font in your vga.pcf file.  (Or, perhaps
just a line for each font that you wish to _use_ from that file...)
If you look at the file, its format should become obvious to you.
   Finally, make sure that the first line of fonts.dir reflects the
total number of fonts listed within.  (So, if it starts out with 346
and you add 3 fonts, change the first line to read "349.")
   Hope this helps.
Bob

--
"A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his
clients to plant vines." -- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)