Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 08:18:34 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: Tiny starter configuration for FreeBSD

Mike writes:

> I typically don't allow root to login at all,
> but I'm a bit paranoid.

So am I, which is why this makes me uneasy.  The machine is off the Net for the
moment, but I want it secured before I put it thereon.  I'd still like to be
able to log in as root from my other machine on the LAN, however (and that's it,
except for the system console, of course).

> I haven't used it myself, but if you're running
> -stable, try reading the login.access man page,
> which provides exactly the facilities you
> want.

I tried it, and it seems to be exactly what I need.  Now only my other machine
can login as root.

> I'd still recommend not allowing root to log
> in remotely.

If there weren't so many blasted things that have to be done as root, I'd agree.
But almost everything affecting the system requires root, it seems.

> The thing that pops immediately to mind is
> the number of security rings.

The implemented architecture already had eight rings; how many did they
originally want?