Date:      Mon, 01 Jul 2002 16:48:41 -0700
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   porting uaudio

I'm giving some preliminary thought to attempting to port NetBSD's
uaudio to the PCM framework. I *believe* I have a good idea what the
various entry points for CHANNEL_DECLARE() (in PCM) do. I think. Maybe.

What is less clear to me is the sort of hows and whys of USB device
drivers. My presumption is that the USB side of uaudio.c (from NetBSD)
should be relatively straightforward to port, and that the majority of
the work will be to shoehorn that into the PCM side. I further presume
that when I'm done, I'll have a snd_uaudio.ko module that will have
module dependencies on USB and PCM and that it will just work and stuff. :-)

The target implementation is the Stereo Link 1200 (www.stereo-link.com).
I don't have one yet. I will consider buying one when I get something
that seems like it might work.

Anyone have any comments?